Discovering the Art of Mathematics (DAoM), is an innovative approach to teaching mathematics to liberal arts and humanities students at the college level, that offers the following vision:
Mathematics for Liberal Arts students will be actively involved in authentic mathematical experiences that
- are both challenging and intellectually stimulating,
- provide meaningful cognitive and metacognitive gains, and,
- nurture healthy and informed perceptions of mathematics, mathematical ways of thinking, and the ongoing impact of mathematics not only on STEM fields but also on the liberal arts and humanities.
DAoM provides a wealth of resources for mathematics faculty to help realize this vision in their Mathematics for Liberal Arts (MLA) courses: a library of 11 inquiry-based learning guides, extensive teacher resources and many professional development opportunities. These tools enable faculty to transform their classrooms to be responsive to current research on learning (e.g. National Academy Press’s How People Learn) and the needs and interests of MLA students without enormous start-up costs or major restructuring.
Latest posts by Kim Estes (see all)
- ReadWorks,org – Free Reading Comprehension Resources - March 27, 2018
- Database of Citizen-Science Projects - March 25, 2018
- Game to “Vaccinate” Students Against Disinformation - March 25, 2018